5 Comments

Travis said...

Yep, for the pro on the go who doesn't want to carry his DSLR and all his lenses I can see this being a great option. I too am close to buying but I want to first read the press on the Nikon Coolpix 6000 and the Canon Powershot G10 though I doubt either of them will turn my head. I really like the focus on larger CCD pixels and the resulting image quality along with the fast 2.0 Leica lens. Seems like a difficult combo to beat for US$500 ... I hope to push the trigger soon.

Trevor said...

Travis: Agree! Panasonic actually made a bold statement about this camera, and they chose not to join the "megapixel" race - instead, include a fast lens + improve the picture quality (with Venus IV)

The review so far that I've read are mostly positive about it. :)

Travis said...

I've been waiting for this trend to change. The last camera I bought deliberately with a lower pixel count hoping it would produce better pictures. The PowerShot S5 was already out but I bought the S3 in hopes its images would be better than its successor. The CCD size hadn't changed but "magically" they'd squeezed in lots more pixels. Suspicious I was! Love the camera but still want much better images ... let's hope that's the LX3!

Trevor said...

Travis: i'll update in this space as soon as I buy the camera... hopefully by end of his month.

Travis said...

Sounds great! Oh, and if you don't know (and assuming you live in the U.S.) then you should check out the price at JR.com where you will be able get either body style for US$399 if you pre-order before 9/6. I'm going to be in Manhattan this weekend and plan to check out the camera at JR downtown. Who knows? Perhaps I'll make an impulse buy. :-)